The improved system of protection of intellectual property rights serves as a guarantee for foreign investors and increases their willingness to invest in economy of Turkmenistan. Membership prestigious international organizations and joining international treaties, cooperation in the field of intellectual property increases confidence in the country.
In accordance with Article 23 of the Law of Turkmenistan “On Foreign Investments” realization of intellectual property rights of foreign investors, enterprises with foreign investment and their protection are ensured in accordance with the legislation of Turkmenistan
For the purpose of regulation individual objects of intellectual property, at present the following laws in force:
- The Law of Turkmenistan “On the legal protection of algorithms, electronic computer program, databases and topology of integrated microcircuits”;
- The Law of Turkmenistan “On the legal protection of selective achievements";
- The Law of Turkmenistan “On the copyright and related rights";
- The Law of Turkmenistan “On the legal protection of invention”;
- The Law of Turkmenistan “On the legal protection of industrial design”;
- The Law of Turkmenistan “On trademarks”;
- The Law of Turkmenistan “Appellation of origin”.
In addition, Turkmenistan is a member of international conventions and treaties in the area of intellectual property:
- World Intellectual Property Convention;
- Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property;
- Patent Cooperation Treaty;
- Eurasian Patent Convention;
- The Protocol relating to the Madrid Agreement for the International Registration of Trademarks;
- The Strasbourg Agreement Concerning the International Patent Classification;
- The Locarno Agreement Establishing an International Classification for Industrial designs;
- The Nice Agreement Concerning the International Classification of Goods and Services of the Registration of Marks;
- The Vienne Agreement Establishing an International Classification of Figurative Elements of Marks;
- The Nairobi Treaty on the protection of the Olympic symbols;
- The Geneva Act of The Hague Agreement on the International Registration of Industrial Designs;
- The Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works.
The norm provide by the laws of Turkmenistan contribute to attracting foreign investment and allow the development of business of national producers, which in turn allow the development of competitive ability in the international market.